June 12, 2004

June 12, 2004

     The last wedding I shot was on June 12, 2004.  Actually, that would have been a perfect last shoot for me if one of my assistants hadn’t needed to call me to tell me they were three hours away with most of the equipment I needed for my afternoon wedding shoot.  WHAT?!?!?!?!?

     Turns out, he had picked up an extra bag, by mistake, that morning and left for an out of town wedding.  He took one of my cameras, my camera light, all of my camera and light batteries, all of the digital tapes, the microphones, my camera grip, and my sanity.  He called me and told me this four hours before my wedding was to begin, a local wedding – only 9 miles away!  I couldn’t drive a round trip in four hours and his event was scheduled to start in two hours from when he called me so, he couldn’t meet me halfway.  As I have said so often and it seems to hold true, “If I didn’t have bad luck, I would have no luck at all!”  Why did this have to happen today?!?

     I found a cab company that was willing to pick up my equipment and drive it back up to me for $250.00.  Actually, that was very ‘fare’ – they could have really taken advantage of us in that situation.  I know it doesn’t take $250 to drive 200 miles one-way but, if you weren’t planning on driving a 400 mile trip on a sunny Saturday in June (perhaps you had better things to do with your life), I can easily see where it would run $250 for the inconvenience.  The cab left our assistant’s location exactly three hours before the start time of my wedding.  He arrived at my location seven minutes before the bride was to walk down the aisle.  Which meant he obeyed the speed limit the entire way!  From the cabs I have been in when I’ve been in Minneapolis, Chicago, and Los Angeles, cabs don’t obey the speed limits (generally) so, I thought I would have had at least 30 minutes to finish setting up and look calm.  I was pacing around, doing my best to not look suspicious to the bride and groom and their entire family.  I have to say, it looked pretty strange to see a cab pull up at a small church in the country.  The driver even remarked that this wedding was, “Way out here!”

     I had already set up the equipment I did have with me, and for the most part, was ready to go.  I just had to set up the back camera, insert tapes in both cameras and wire the groom with the lapel microphone.  I had two minutes left to spare; two minutes to lower my blood pressure and stop shaking from the anxiety so I could have a steady picture.  After that, the shoot went remarkably smooth, and without any other hitches.

Read about this tale and more in "I Do" Fifteen Years of Wedding Misadventures

Kiersten Hall